US death toll in ISIS suicide attack at Kabul airport rises to 13 as ’90 Afghans killed’

Kabul attacks: General McKenzie says US ‘looking for them’

Sign up to receive our rundown of the day’s

top stories

direct to your inbox


Invalid email

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.

More info

A report by The Wall Street Journal indicates ninety Afghans were also killed and 140 people injured when two ISIS-K suicide bombers attacked the evacuation site.

Related articles

A further 18 US troops assisting with evacuations at the capital’s Hamid Karzai International Airport were injured.

Reuters revealed early on Friday morning the death toll had now risen to 13 – after President Biden vowed to hunt down ISIS members involved in the attack.

Initially, the American ambassador in Kabul revealed four US Marines were killed in the explosion on Thursday evening.

An American official has also warned Reuters the total number of US soldiers killed could rise even further.


Kabul airport

(Image: Getty)


Kabul airport earlier this week.

(Image: Getty)

The Islamic State, specifically the ISIS-K faction, claimed responsibility for detonating suicide bombs in Kabul.

In a statement, Daesh said confirmed its involvement and said one suicide bomber targeted “translators and collaborators with the American army”.

The Taliban has condemned ISIS’ actions in Kabul.


The Taliban said: “The Islamic Emirate strongly condemns the bombing of civilians at Kabul airport, which took place in an area where US forces are responsible for security.


READ MORE:

We warned you! Taliban chief speaks out after ISIS terror attacks

Trending


Taliban

(Image: Getty)

“The Islamic Emirate is paying close attention to the security and protection of its people, and evil circles will be strictly stopped.”

Speaking to journalists at the White House, President Joe Biden promised to “hunt down” ISIS-K terrorists.

“We will not be deterred by terrorists,” he said.

“We will not let them stop our mission.


President Biden

(Image: Getty)

“We will continue the evacuation.”

The terror attack on Thursday was the first time since February 2020 that the US had suffered military casualties in Afghanistan.

Marine Corps General Frank McKenzie warned the incident may however only be the first attack on Kabul.

The head of the US military’s Central Command said: “We believe it is their desire to continue these attacks and we expect those attacks to continue – and we’re doing everything we can to be prepared.”

Related articles